Tuesday, June 26, 2012

From the Field: Meet Wynndee Reese

Wynndee, pictured on the right
This summer, we have several remarkable individuals working on our unique projects in Malawi.  With all our new programs happening, we wanted to take a moment and share some of the great experiences and amazing work:

Meet Wynndee Reese:

Tell us a little about you. My name is Wynndee. I am from Chicago, IL. I am currently a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Anthropology, minoring in Traditional Medicine and Biomedicine in Africa, while completing my pre-medical requirement in order to attend Medical School. I am also a Goodwin-Niering Center for the Environment Scholar and will be completing a project focusing on the importance and implementation of Environmental Science education.

How did you get connected with World Camp? I became connected after my major adviser, Prof. Catherine Benoit, suggested I consider World Camp because of interest in medicine and environmental education. She also told me of her former student, Katie Sacca, completing the program and loving it.

What is the purpose of your current trip to Malawi?  The purpose of my current trip is to complete an independent project through World Camp. I will be working closely with the Mchezi Community Based Organization. While here I will be working with their Hygiene and Sanitation initiative, Home Based Care program, and the World Camp Club at Mchezi.

What is a typical day like for you in the field? A typical day consists of me arriving in Mchezi, having any necessary logistic or informational meetings in the morning, then completing a two hour workshop on topics such as HIV/AIDS, Malaria, or How To Care for Patients. After the workshops we discuss next week's workshop agenda and any questions that they may have. Depending on the day of the week, I will either go on to work on the Hygiene and Sanitation Initiative or work with the World Camp Club discussing environmental projects.

What are your initial thoughts on your stay - Have you been to Malawi before? I have not been to Malawi before but I can say that I have met some of the kindest and most generous people here. Everyone is so eager to assist you with anything you might need or even to just say hello.

What’s the best meal you've had while in Malawi? The best meal I've had in Malawi would have had to be at Agogo's house. She made us a wonderful meal consisting of nsima, red beans, and a cabbage and mustard relish. It was fantastic, she also made rice for me in case I did not like nsima but her concerns were unfounded because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

What do you hope to take away from your visit to Malawi? From my visit in Malawi, I hope to take away a broader understanding of the human condition and how we as humans adapt to change and influence.

Outside of World Camp, what are your interests? My interests outside of World Camp include basketball (spectating, not playing) reading, re-reading the LOTR trilogy, mint chocolate anything, and learning!

What would you say to someone who’s interested in volunteering with World Camp? Just do it. Let the idea of volunteering with World Camp consume you until it is your reality. That's what I did and I haven't looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment