Thursday, June 7, 2012

from the office: Summer interns!


They’re a big force behind World Camp's success and we think you should know a bit about them - meet our Summer interns!

Lisa:
Where's your hometown?
I was born and raised in Charlotte, NC.

How did you end up at World Camp?
Michelle and I heard about World Camp through two of our sorority sisters: Nicole Bradley, who traveled with World Camp to Malawi last summer, and Morgan Nirenstein, who worked as an intern in World Camp’s office in Asheville last summer.  They both sang praises for World Camp, so I had to check it out.

Michelle on the left, Lisa on the right
What do you do when you're not busy at World Camp?
I love spending time with my friends.  A lot of times, we rent movies and lounge around.  I am into any genre of movie, as long as it is watched with great friends!  Also, I’m in the process of looking for a new place to live, so I’ve been house hunting throughout Asheville.  It feels like a part-time job!

What aspect of World Camp are you most passionate about?
I am most inspired by World Camp’s Camp Hope.  I think it is so important that HIV positive youth have an optimistic outlook on life.  Not only are the children offered education on HIV treatment, but they are also provided with strong support networks and positive role models.  Offering support to these children is so motivating to me.

What's your favorite thing to do in Asheville?
Eat!  Asheville has the most delicious food!  They take southern food to a whole different level, giving traditional foods an Asheville twist.   Some of my favorite places are Tupelo Honey, Early Girl Eatery, and Circle in the Square Pizza.

What has been your favorite thing to work on at World Camp so far?
One of my first tasks at World Camp was to organize information sent from Malawi via photographs into a massive spreadsheet.  The photos featured large posters filled with information about the schools connected with World Camp in the Malikha Zone of Malawi.  I was able to learn a lot about these specific schools, including student demographics, infrastructure, and the needs of each school.  This may not sound like a fun task, but I am obsessed with organizing things, so this was perfect!

What your hopes for the future of World Camp?
I would love to see World Camp expand to other countries in need.  I know that World Camp previously had service learning internships in India and Honduras.  To see these programs resume, and also begin in other countries, would be incredible.

Michelle:
Where's your hometown:
Born in Maryland, but raised in Raleigh, North Carolina

How did you end up at World Camp:
Lisa and I have a sorority sister that went to Malawi with World Camp and she absolutely loved it, and another one of our sisters interned here before. I guess we're following in the Alpha Xi Delta tradition of working with World Camp! 

What do you do when you're not busy at World Camp:
I like to spend time with my friends. We've gotten really into grilling out this summer. I'm also training for a half marathon again so I’m trying to get back in the swing of things.

What aspect of World Camp are you most passionate about:
I think World Camp and I share a passion of development through education. I think it’s the most sustainable way to make substantial changes. The idea of empowering people through education is golden. That’s why I am so thrilled to be working here! 

What's your favorite thing to do in Asheville:
Well this is my first summer in Asheville, so I’ve been trying to immerse myself in the summer culture! Whether it’s hanging out by the pool, Downtown After Five, the drum circle, or grilling at the Bywater, I’m open to suggestions! I’m excited to see all the festivals Asheville has in store this summer as well.

What has been your favorite thing to work on at World Camp so far:
I enjoyed working on a project about Home-Based Care in Malawi for someone in the field. I didn’t know much about the topic, so it was interesting learning more about the culture and traditions of Malawi.

What your hopes for the future of World Camp?
I just hope that World Camp can continue to grow and expand over the years to serve as many as possible and continues to bring about positive change in the world. It’s just a great cause so I hope more and more people get involved and “the word” about World Camp continues to spread. Also, Lisa and I also hope to get 1,500 likes on Facebook by the end of the summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment