Thursday, June 21, 2012

Alumni: Where are they now?


This week, World Camp is highlighting an alumni who's passion has kept her working with World Camp long after her trip to Malawi. Check out Jenny Reiner and how she is helping the World Camp family:

Hi, my name is Jenny Reiner and I am serving as the Boston Area Representative for the summer. Since volunteering with World Camp in 2010, I have realized how strongly I feel about promoting awareness of health inequities and developing ways in which communities can strengthen and implement change.  I learned about WC through Karen Clark (the best coordinator!), who was a fellow classmate at Colby College. As a recent graduate of Colby, I am looking to gain more experiences within the public health field, especially in nonprofit organizations.
I think what has inspired and motivated me to stay involved with World Camp is how passionate I feel towards World Camp’s mission. When I was in Malawi, I was struck by how WC used education as a vehicle for change within Malawian communities.  My favorite part of the curriculum was when all of the classes performed a presentation for the village community on what they had learned.  It was such a unique experience to be part of a community assembly that openly discussed taboo subjects, such as how to care for someone with HIV/AIDS.  Involving the community made me realize how our discussions transcended the walls of the classroom and made a difference in the community.
As an area representative, I am helping to maintain alumni relations and increase the volunteer base. Currently, I am reaching out to colleges and universities in the Boston area to increase awareness of the internship opportunities through WC.  It’s been fun to share my past experiences in Malawi with prospective interns and to help get more people involved with WC.  I’m very pleased with the direction in which WC is moving.  Since I volunteered in 2010, they have made many curriculum changes and have formed vital partnerships with the field assistants.  I think that collaborating with Malawian field assistants will enable WC to better understand the realities of Malawian communities and will foster a curriculum that will have a long-lasting impact.
Besides my work at World Camp, I worked with elementary students in Maine to learn about their perceptions of nutrition, along with the role that schools play in fostering a healthy environment.  This project exposed me to the challenges that children from low-income families face in leading healthy lives.  At Colby, I was also a member of the Women’s Swimming and Diving team and served as mentor in the program, Colby Cares About Kids.
I can’t wait to get more updates from the WC staff currently in Malawi and I dream of going back to Lilongwe some day! (maybe for some of John’s delicious chocolate cake…or the infamous WC no bake cookies!). If there are any WC Alumni in the Boston area that would like to stay in touch or know of anyone who may be interested in being involved with World Camp, please let me know! I’m available by email at reiner.jen@gmail.com.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment