Friday, December 10, 2010

A Volunteer's Story: A New Awareness and Connection to Humanity

As a sophomore in college, I was a wildlife biology major, Division 1 swimmer and looking to compete in triathlons. Then my mother sent me a newspaper clipping about a student from my high school who volunteered with World Camp in Malawi, Africa. In search of a wildlife adventure, I had always wanted to travel to Africa. So, for perhaps initially selfish reasons, I looked into the organization. I decided to apply, however, because it felt like an amazing opportunity to experience Africa and grow as an individual.
Fast-forward to the summer of 2005. I joined WC in Malawi with little knowledge of the country or awareness of the issues. But the WC participants, and the organization as a whole, quickly became my new community. It was within this community that we learned the curriculum and grew, both as individuals and as a team. In turn, this created an incredible environment for young villagers to learn about important issues. It was astounding how this brought them together as a larger community! Though 3-day camps seemed short, I saw we were able to build bonds through common interests. We used our time to listen and play games with kids in order to facilitate these bonds. We increased communication about issues through developing dialogues among the class, rather than merely speaking at our pupils.
I was training for an Ironman triathlon while in Malawi. I woke up early in the mornings to watch the sun rise and train before journeying to rural villages for camp. I connected myself to a bungee cord and swam in the pool at the WC house. Some days another volunteer or WC guard and I ran at the golf course (mostly utilized by European vacationers). I remember running in my lycra, hot as hell some days, as full body attire was more culturally appropriate. My strength training was accomplished by using Sobo juice bottles as weights and a bar with cement blocks attached to the ends. Returning after 6 weeks in Africa, I completed my first Ironman competition in late July! People were surprised by my success, considering my very unorthodox training. Despite the immense physical pain from completing a 2.5 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride and a 26 mile run in one day, what I realized was that so much in life is beyond a physical experience.
Everything about WC was an amazing experience: the educational camps, community presentations, village home-stays, field trips, time spent with local youth at a homeless shelter and reflection conversations with one another. Conditions and opportunities differ significantly in Malawi; they were not at all what I was accustomed to in the U.S. However, my experience with WC allowed me to be a part of a culture and community so different from my own. I learned so much from the children we worked with and their accomplishments. I developed a sense of hope and joy based on things other than material possessions. I found a beauty far beyond health clubs, athletic and educational success, nice cars, big houses and drunken stupors. WC opened me to an awareness of and connection to humanity. Though it may seem dormant at times, my experience planted a seed that continues to grow. It changed the way I see the world, other people and myself. We are not so separate after all.

WC taught me about myself as a human being and as part of something much greater than the individual; it taught me about the global community. I am a better athlete. A better student. A better human being. It opened my heart to experience and opportunity I had not imagined. I want to explore other landscapes, experience other cultures and enjoy wildlife around the world. I hope to continue in education and give a part of this awareness to others.
My experience in Malawi inspired my recent application to the Peace Corps...I’ll let you know what happens...
**Part VII in a series of reflections on how we internalize what we learn abroad into who we are back home. Email submissions to info@worldcampforkids.org or katy@worldcampforkids.org. Articles, thoughts, poems, quotes, pictures, etc. are welcome!*


No comments:

Post a Comment