Monday, December 13, 2010

Staff Story: One of a Kind



World Camp is the first organization that got me hooked to kids. I always wanted to bring a change in the lives of the kids of Malawi, I just did not know how. But at the same time, I did not want to be a teacher. When I learned about World Camp and the work they do with kids, I was so interested and decided to become part of the organization.


Scholarship Recipients-Tamara, Litah, Lilian, Precaria
with Coordinator Scott Coriell and Doreen.

 
Working as a Scholarship Mentor got me so close to the kids World Camp works with. I got to learn their stories and serve as their mentor, not only with word of mouth but also with my behavior and grades in school. I learned about time management since I had to divide my time between work and school.
 
Standards 4  and 5 at Chakhala FPS
Through my college, I learned about Urban Promise, an organization that works with kids and youth in after-school programs and youth programs.  Because of my experience at World Camp, I decided to apply for an internship with this organization.  That is how I ended up in New Jersey, Camden. Both World Camp and Urban Promise serve under privileged kids. Kids that are forgotten and don't have a voice in society. Kids that have been labeled to amount to nothing.  This is what my life has always wanted to do: bring hope to the hopeless.
 
World Camp taught me that love knows no boundaries. That teaching kids while they are young is a great investment, to the kids, but also to the nation and the world at large.  If you give a kid a gift, it will be taken away or worn out but if you give them knowledge, no one can take that away. 
 
Doreen, Lusungu Masamba, Katy Lackey,
and Jackie Kalongosa
With World Camp kids learn about HIV/AIDS in ways that no one else could tell them. Malawi culture is a secretive culture. People don't want to talk about sex or condoms, let alone sexually transmitted diseases. World Camp helps kids in this culture to open up and talk about issues; issues that society has neglected but are affecting their lives greatly. It is amazing how many questions and misconseptions about HIV/AIDS these kids have.  World Camp brings light about HIV/AIDS and its reality to the dark secret corners of kids hearts.
 
World Camp has also been a great resource when it comes to renewing the environment. The organization teaches kids how to take care of their beautiful environment which they often take for granted. They teach how to replace trees whenever they use them.  World Camp has empowered kids to take responsibility not only over their lives, but also the environment they live in and the people around them.
 
I am still learning a great deal from World Camp. Bravo World Camp!!!!!!!!!


Submitted by: Doreen Jessica Kaphalayna, Malawi Field Assistant

*Part III in our Staff series. Check back for more reflections and updates from our in-country staff! Email submissions to info@worldcampforkids.org or katy@worldcampforkids.org 

1 comment:

  1. Hey World Camp!

    Thanks for posting Doreen's article. I've just finished two years of teaching in Camden, NJ, where I had a really positive experience. Urban Promise was just a stone's throw away my old school, Camden's Promise Charter. (What a small world we live in . . .) I'm really inspired that Doreen came to serve in a high-need community in the US. There's always work to do in our backyard, and our world is strengthened through partnerships such as these.

    Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

    Paul North
    Volunteer '05, PC '07

    ReplyDelete