Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday "Green" Craze: Trees, Trees, Trees!

I'm not ashamed to admit my love for trees. I climb them, I read under them, I nap on their branches, yes, I even hug them. And though I hate the idea of taking one from it's home, I love the idea of having one in my home.    

Malawi, Africa
Last week some friends and I embarked on a journey for the perfect Christmas tree. What turned into an epic search for such a tree, got me thinking about sustainability and the holidays. This internal debate is by no means novel; environmentalists have danced around it for years. And not just about real and artificial trees. Recycled wrapping paper, sustainable gifts, energy used to manufacture toys, paper waste from presents and holiday parties.

Despite the lavish spending and production this time of year, the kid in me still believes there's something good that makes it all worth it. Looks of excitement on little kids' faces as they talk about Santa reminds us that we, too, are still young. Forgetting about the world's harshness, we connect for a moment of cozy happiness during wine and cheese parties. We throw aside diets and inhibitions, filling our bellies with delicious treats and our souls with obnoxious singing to Christmas songs. Holiday movies inspire us to believe in taking chances again, even if we don't act on them. We brave the stress and crowds of holiday shopping to find yet another way to show someone we care, though we could simply tell them.

I'll admit, it's a silly tradition when you think about. Covering a plant in blinking bulbs and little figures? But what's behind these strange activities and our indulgence in material goods, is a process. A process that, perhaps ironically, connects us to one other and our environment. We take time out of our busy lives to decorate the tree together, the completion is almost magical. Even the search for a tree is an adventure itself. Many of us forget to take adventures as we grow older. So call me crazy, but a part of me loves this season.

On our search last week, my friend's sister mentioned her slight guilt in cutting one down. The environmentalist in the back of my mind nagged "yeah, especially with the insane pine beetle kill in Colorado." Images of visible deforestation flying over Malawi and teaching about erosion flashed in my mind. My buddy, however, quickly retorted that she looked it up and cutting one 6 inches in diameter and close to other trees was actually healthy for the forest.

Ahmedabad, India
I silently reassured myself of this, as we drove further and further into the mountains and the forests looked lush and happy. I let the day's spirit permeate every inch of me. The crisp air, blue skies, sparkling snow and sheer ridiculousness of three girls and two dogs climbing with saws, arguing how big the tree would actually look in the house, and sliding a massive one down the mountain. "Green" or not, our adventure and our tree successfully yanked me out of wallowing in a world of suffering and material goods, and left me believing, once again, in whatever I found as a kid during the holidays.

I, of course, still researched Christmas trees a few days later. Though both sides of the debate are compelling, for those of you environmental worriers, tree lovers, or holiday fanatics, here are a few things you may find interesting:

  • An acre of growing Christmas trees creates enough daily oxygen for 18 people. 
  • The average tree farmer plants 2-3 seedlings each year for a single tree cut down for the holidays.
  • Christmas trees may help prevent erosion while growing. 
  • Live trees are PVC and lead free, carbon neutral and 100% biodegradable. 
Regardless of your tree choice this season, we hope your holiday adventures bring loads of happiness, connection and all around fun. 

Happy Holidays, from all of us at World Camp!

Links related to this post: 

No comments:

Post a Comment