Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Return Journey to Malawi


A Return Journey to Malawi



When I arrived in Malawi this January it was 8 years to the day since I had first set foot there. I had always hoped to return to Malawi but never fully expected it to happen. How could I be so lucky as to set off on such an adventure more than once in a life? 

After a quick change of clothes (it was balmy in Lilongwe unlike DC in January), and Customs, I met my partner in crime, and guide to all things Malawi, Michael Kumwenda, our Country Manager. I was admittedly exhausted after the trip from DC but I was exhilarated on the drive from the airport to our house in Area 3. I had absolutely forgotten just how beautiful Malawi is – particularly in the rainy season. As before, the side of the highway was as congested as the roadway itself, filled with men transporting goods on the back of bicycles; whole families piled onto a single bike; small groups of school children walking in single-file lines; vendors selling all manner of things, from bricks, to tire scraps to puppies.

January is typically a time of great activity for World Camp. This particular January we were hosting a study abroad trip for a group of students from Appalachian State University. They, however, had departed for safari in Zambia the morning I arrived. It had been a long time since I had seen our house or any of our staff there, but it all came back so easily: the big, open space of the living room; the enormous kitchen (with its crazy cabinetry); and wonderful John and Angoni. 

The majority of my time in-country was spent working hand-in-hand with Michael to learn more about our day-to-day operations in Malawi. I attended many of our World Camp Club meetings, stakeholders’ meetings, and met with the community based organizations with which we work. Because the ASU group was there for the first half of my trip I was also able to do an overnight homestay in Mchezi and enjoy some of the fun trips our volunteer groups take.

My time in Malawi was half a chance to learn, half an exercise in remembering. I was reminded of the deep generosity and kindness of every Malawian I have met, the joy of driving down a dirt road and waving to everyone you pass. Being in Malawi feels like being in the biggest small town despite its rapidly growing population. Getting to spend a second month in Malawi, I was able to learn so much more about the country, its people, and customs. I was also reminded just how good Garlic Nali really is.

My time in Malawi has been and will be instrumental in the expansion of World Camp’s programming. I was able to learn vast amounts about Camp Hope (which is quickly approaching!), see first-hand how our World Camp Clubs are progressing, get to know our staff, and collaborate with them on many tasks and programs. I am excited to see what all will come of my trip. We have already refined processes, re-assessed program roll-out, and developed concrete measurement tools as a result of my time in Malawi.

I am grateful to have had the chance to return to Malawi and excited by the prospect of returning this summer. I know that the more amazing trips to Malawi I am able to take, the more I will grow, and the more World Camp will benefit.
 

1 comment:

  1. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comOctober 9, 2014 at 8:05 AM

    Hi,

    I hope this finds you well. Healthline just released an informative article with graphics regarding HIV/AIDs facts in the US and around the World. The page details who is being effected and the cost of treatment. You can check out the resource here: http://www.healthline.com/health/hiv-aids/facts-statistics-infographic

    This valuable, med-reviewed information shows the need to continueeducating people on prevention and how to protect yourself and your loved ones. I thought this would be a great resource for your audience, and I am writing to ask if you would include it as a source of information on your page: http://worldcampforkids.blogspot.com/

    Please let me know if this would be possible. I’m happy to answer any other questions as well.

    Warm regards,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete