Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Meet Nicole, our newest intern!

Nicole Bradley, a former World Camp volunteer, is interning with us at the World Camp Asheville office. She's been helping with recruiting, writing blogs and research for us. Nicole is majoring in International Studies with a minor in African studies and a focus on gender roles in rural Africa, particularly Malawi.

Check out her interview below!


Where's your hometown?
I am from Rutherfordton, NC which is just about an hour away from Asheville.

How did you end up at World Camp?
Well I actually volunteered in Malawi over the summer 2011. I found out about it through the Study Abroad Fair at University of North Carolina Asheville and have been basically obsessed ever since. I really wanted to stay involved with World Camp when I got back, and since most of the programs go along with my major and undergraduate research, interning seemed to fit perfectly.

What do you do when you're not busy at World Camp?
I’m super busy. I’m trying to graduate a semester early, so school takes a lot of my time. I also work part-time at Target. Between UNCA and Target, it feels like I’m never home. I do love to sing and write music with my teensy free time.

What aspect of World Camp are you most passionate about?
I am most passionate about World Camp’s empowerment program. As a past volunteer, the empowerment program is the one that I felt held the most weight when I volunteered. The girls always seemed so excited to sit in our circle, and they had so many questions. It’s just so inspiring to talk to see them interact, and how the empowerment could affect them in the future.

What's your favorite thing to do in Asheville?
I love Asheville’s downtown scene. When I get time, I try to experiment with all the unique delicious food you find there. I also love to catch live music when I can.

What has been your favorite thing to work on at World Camp so far?
I haven’t been interning here too long, but I love researching for blog posts. I get to find out new and exciting information and share it with everyone!

What your hopes for the future of World Camp?
I’d love to see World Camp continue to grow their programs. The addition of Camp Hope is one that I find incredibly exciting; it is something that World Camp has added since I volunteered. Whether expanding their programs in Malawi, or even expanding to other countries eventually, I think that World Camp does such amazing work; I’d love to see it reach more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment