Thursday, April 19, 2012

Where are they now? - Recognizing WC alumni past and present!

Molly Cohen, Alumni  2010
Molly,
Where are you and what are you doing now?
I am currently working in NYC for Alicia Key's nonprofit, Keep a Child Alive, which shares a similar mission to World Camp.  I work on securing sponsorships for our annual events and maintain the database of volunteers and donors.  This fall, however, I will be moving to Chicago to begin my master's in Urban Education.

Did WC influence the education or career path you chose - if so how?
Yes.  Prior to visiting Africa, I had just received my degree in business and had very different career prospects.  My trip to Africa helped me realize that I wanted to focus my career on giving back -- whether it be to those in need abroad or within our own country (hopefully a combination of both each year!).  After my five weeks with World Camp in Malawi were up, I told Jesse I wasn't ready to leave.  I met up with a friend from college and we returned to Malawi a few months later to live in Mchezi and work forming the foundations of the professional program through teaching CBO members basic business skills.  I never expected to enjoy the teaching aspect so much.  I recently finished a fellowship at a charter school in Harlem and look forward to starting my graduate studies as well! 

What inspired you to go to Africa in the first place?
Ahhh...I always had this desire to travel to Africa, but if we're being totally honest, I came across Madonna's documentary on Hulu and found out through World Camp after doing some research.  I don't like saying Madonna brought me to Africa but unfortunately, it is kind of true!

What color most reminds you of Malawi - why?
 The turquoise color of MCBO's building reminds me of my time in Malawi.  It was always in such contrast to the musty, dry surroundings and represented a glimmer of hope, just like MCBO did for the community.

What is your favorite experience from Malawi to tell your friends about?
I probably told them enough stories that they would never want to hear another one again!  If I had to think of one experience in particular, it would definitely be the relationship I formed with a young girl from Mchezi, Maggie.  Maggie was an HIV+ orphan who immediately latched on to me during my first day living in Mchezi.  She would wait for me to wake up outside my window, be there when I finished class, and hang on my lap until the sun went down.  I know, I know, I am guilty of favoritism with Maggie, but I really felt like she needed the support.  Even with the language barrier, we shared plenty of laughs and smiles.  Just recently, Chris Goma, the director of MCBO, sent me a picture of Maggie with a sign saying she missed me.  It was really important for me to see that she is looking healthy and happy! 

Describe the people of Malawi in 5 words?
I've never felt so popular.

If you could go back to Malawi what would you want to do there?
 First stop off the plane, I would need to go visit John and Ngoni and have a nice bowl of nsima (somehow I miss it!).  After, I definitely want to spend time living in Mchezi and revisiting all the adults I taught and the children I played with.  I loved watching the church choir practice in the early afternoon and soccer, netball, and laughs with the children pre-dinner was always a blast as well..... finish the night off with a flashlight (headband, of course) game of competitive Scrabble.

What do you miss most about Malawi today?
Of course, Maggie (see picture)

What is one thing you learned from your experience?
In Malawi, there is a unique, almost innate, sense of unity embedded within the community. Children do not belong to their parents alone, but are the entire village’s responsibility. People look for help from one another, unlike my suburban childhood where cutthroat competition, soccer Moms, and fenced property lines were the norm. By reaching out to others, I reached inward – a mutually rewarding relationship.

What would you tell others who are thinking of traveling to Malawi w/ WC?
Just do it. No hesitations!

No comments:

Post a Comment