Monday, April 2, 2012

Where are they now? - Recognizing WC alumni past and present!

They’re a big force behind World Camp’s progress and we think it’s time you got to know them - meet our alumni past and present!

We're going to bring you a new series that highlights the dedicated people that help keep World Camp's projects rolling - without them none of our accomplishments would be possible. 

Carolyn Vaughn alumni 2005
CJ Vaughn:
Where are you and what are you doing now?
I'm living in San Francisco and I'm a plastic surgery resident at UCSF.

Did WC influence the education or career path you chose - if so how?
Yes. My experience with World Camp spawned my interest in global health and more specifically in surgical education.

What inspired you to go to Africa in the first place?
I wanted to experience and learn from a country and people that were totally unlike my upbringing in the U.S., and use the resources I have to bring about growth and change in a country that has limited access to those same resources.

What is your favorite experience from Malawi to tell your friends about?
My friend and I have traveled around Malawi as cheaply as possible, which means we often road around in the back of pick up trucks. One afternoon we were getting a ride with probably 15 other people including a baby and a chicken, all crowded in the back of the truck and our driver was apparently not licensed, so we got chased by the police. The driver veered off the road and started driving through the fields. The entire truck full of people did not seem concerned, everyone was laughing and enjoying the excitement of the chase. No one seemed worried about the 2 HOUR detour we took as a result of tearing through the corn fields to avoid the police roadblock! In the end we made it where we wanted to go and in hindsight was well worth the story!

What color most reminds you of Malawi - why?
That reddish tan color of the dirt. When my friend and I returned to Malawi during medical school we walked a few miles to and from the hospital where we worked, and as the cars drove by that red dust is all you could see around you. It coated everything - and I literally brought that home with me!

Describe the people of Malawi in 5 words - ok maybe under 10?
Warm, welcoming, selfless, hands down more rhythm than we have.

If you could go back to Malawi what would want to do there?
My hope is go back and work on setting up a surgical education and training program.

What do you miss most about Malawi today?
Nsima, ha. Probably the whole community gathering together to sing, dance, and share.

What is one thing you learned from your experience?
The most effective projects, that allow for real, sustainable change, are those which are inspired by and carried out by the community.

What would you tell others who are thinking of traveling to Malawi with WC?
Going to Malawi with World Camp changed my perspective on life, and has shaped my career and my personal goals for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment