Saturday, July 16, 2011

Behind the Internship: Challenging Understandings and Decision Making

"Arriving in Malawi, I can already feel a different atmosphere; one personified by enthusiasm and encouragement. En route to Lilongwe, I heard many times that life is different here. One woman from Malawi put it like this: “In some ways, life in Africa is nicer than it is in America. It’s simpler. You’re not always in competition with others or trying to get ahead.” The land is beautiful in Lilongwe and the people are so welcoming. 

The morning after I arrived, I met John, who works at the World Camp House. He greeted me in the kitchen, and automatically said, “Welcome to Malawi” followed shortly thereafter by “Thank you” as he placed both of his hands on my shoulders and repeated that again, “Thank you”. John eagerly introduced me to the other individuals at the house: his wife, Angoni’s wife, and his eldest daughter. As each of them shook my hand, all of the women gripped their wrist and then curtsied with a sign of respect. It was a small gesture, yet it just made me feel very thankful to have them as new companions. Malawi is known as the “Warm Heart of Africa”, and so far, I have no trouble believing it. Although I have met only a few people who have traveled to Malawi before this trip, I can honestly say I have never met a person that has traveled to Malawi and not wanted to return. 
Ashley Hedges, Malawi SS2 Intern, with kids from Mchezi's
Youth Group brainstorming ways to help someone with HIV
care for  their medical needs.

Friday was our first time traveling out of the house as an entire intern group, and we spent a few hours of the day at Mchezi Community Based Organization. It was an opportunity for us to see the Coordinators in action, teaching the curriculum we would be teaching in just a few days. It was a great atmosphere, but it also reminded me of what brought me to Malawi. 

I had the opportunity to work with a small group of students as they completed an activity for class. As a pharmacy student, I was excited to have the opportunity to work with a group of students that were instructed to list the medications that HIV patients have to think about in order to take care of themselves. But before the activity even got started, the boy next to me shared his thoughts about HIV. He said, “If I found out I was HIV+, I would kill myself.” The young gentlemen across from him laughed and then nodded solemnly in agreement with him. Here I was, studying for a doctoral degree in the United States, and a small boy next to me, maybe no older than 8 years old, was not sure he even wanted to live out his future if this change was to occur in his life.


This was the first time I really understood the core of the World Camp mission. I am not here merely to teach a few lessons and clarify a few concepts for kids. Our goal as interns is to challenge the children’s understanding of the concepts they have heard about and then introduce a few new ones. However, more importantly, our goal is to empower these children to feel like they can deal with the difficult decisions they may have to deal with in their lifetime. I recognize that care for an HIV+ person may differ drastically here than it does for Americans in the US, but no 8 year old boy should feel like his life would be over as a result of being diagnosed with HIV. 


Just from this one experience, I know that my time here will be challenging, and that I will learn a lot from the children I work with during the next 5 weeks. I only hope that I can leave them with a little bit of inspiration, so that they believe they can take charge of their lives and live life to the fullest, I hope to leave this in return for all of the welcoming, encouragement I already feel from the Malawian people."

Submitted by: Ashley Hedges, Malawi SS2 Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment