Friday, October 22, 2010

The Warm Heart


I had always wanted to visit Sub-Saharan Africa, and expected to enjoy it, but through World Camp, I not only had a good time, but also developed a unique connection with Malawi and its people. Malawi is full of experiences that will change you and leave you eager for more. This was certainly true for me. One of my most fond memories was connecting with my students through Chichewa, the local language. It took me a few weeks to develop working knowledge of Chichewa, but by my fifth week in Malawi, I could crack jokes, sing some songs, and even ask basic questions. My students loved the fact that an azungu, slang for a Caucasian person, could communicate with them. It was thrilling to see how open and excited these students were to gaining life saving information regarding HIV/AIDS and the environment. The experience left me driven to do more. I am grateful that World Camp allowed me to return to Malawi last January to explore new ways the organization can expand its outreach. I continue to help World Camp in the United States and am craftily sorting out how to get back to Malawi in the near future. My time with World Camp is unforgettable. It has shaped me and given me direction in future goals, and has also left me with a sense of connection to many people 8,000 miles away.

Submitted by: Andrew Beckman, WC Alumni 2009
(Andrew is also the son of David Beckman, who recently received The World Food Prize!)

**Part II in a series of impressions and memories of volunteering with World Camp. Please email submissions to info@worldcampforkids.org or katy@worldcampforkids.org. Journal entries & emails/letters home during your experience, pictures, etc. are encouraged!**

No comments:

Post a Comment