Monday, October 4, 2010

Connections Without Borders

I've been thinking a lot about labels and connections lately. (This is going somewhere, I promise.) Nearly two years of traveling and working abroad has provided a great deal of space to contemplate the notion of identity. Perhaps more than I would like at times. Surfacing again and again are the age-old and eternally unanswered questions, who are we? how or where do we fit in this world? what are we doing with our lives? The truth is, we begin this endless exploration of our identity when we're kids; we first recognize a concept of ourselves as individuals and eventually in relation to those around us.

Female. Male. American. Malawian. White. Black. In a relationship. Single. Married. Victim. Friend. Lover. Child. Parent. Unemployed. Employed. College graduate. Uneducated. Groupie. Musician. Healthy. Ill. Social worker. Accountant. Student. Voter. Politician. 

Malawi, Africa.  January 2010.
The labels we place on ourselves, or at times fall into, allow us to "know" ourselves and thus form connections with people around us. In some sense, this shapes who we are and what we are doing. At least for a given moment. Our identity, and our connections, are constantly defined and redefined by these labels. They shift depending on where we are, what we're doing, and who we're with.

For me those connections materialize most when I'm traveling. People often ask why I work with kids in India and Malawi when there are so many problems right here in the U.S., or why I choose to travel to Phom Penh when I haven't even been to my country's own capital? I never have a good answer, because I don't really know. For some reason I feel connected to certain parts of the world, inspired by certain groups of people, and angered more by certain "social" issues. 

Over time and through my work these connections seem to have defined me and what I am doing here. I have become an NGO worker, a foreigner living abroad. I build connections with empowerment groups because we share the label of being "women." I share understanding with kids in developing countries because we both have a concern of what it would mean to be HIV positive. My labels, my identity, have opened me to incredible experiences and connections around the world. 

And one of the things I LOVE about India (sorry boys), is the women. I was talking the other day with a friend's mom about relating to women in India and how they respond to us and World Camp's work there. How the sense of female camaraderie and spirit just permeates everywhere. A mother tucking a blanket around my feet on an overnight train. Rolling rotis in the kitchen and playing with spices. The smile a woman on the street gives me as she approves of my Indian dress (yet another label here--fitting in vs. unknowing tourist). Mothers shopping for bangles with their daughters. A conversation about educational opportunities for girls. Or giggling over the slimy lubrication during a condom demonstration.

Ahmedabad, India. July 2010.
Photo credit to volunteer Amanda Waldrop. 
My connection with women, and among women in India, was one discovered immediately on my first trip in 2005. It's one whose power continues to amaze me with each return. The welcoming spirit they have for those of us from far off lands (and lives).  Their physical and emotional strength to survive--nonetheless, succeed--in a world oppressive in so many ways. This connection, like so many other connections I've encountered abroad, breathes life into me while I'm there, yet I somehow worry will disappear when I leave.

The other day I was in a yoga class in my hometown--a beautiful little studio with views of the mountains and the lake, and, this time, a small group of 6 women. The theme for the class was "embracing change, being open to new things, and rooting in our gratitude for them." We practiced facing each other, and focused on heart-opening poses. Then came the handstands that then roll over into backbends. An incredible challenge to being open and embracing the fear of gravity.

One woman gently fell out of the pose, said it was too much, and tears began to flow. As we were rolling up our mats after class, she said she had no idea what came over her, just suddenly had to release. She thanked everyone for opening that space for release. None of us knew each other, but the rest of the group then exploded with conversation about how grateful they were that wherever we go there exists a kind of "female space." That space to release, to embrace overwhelming emotions--whether it be excitement and dancing or sadness and crying. How tough it must be for men not to have that (guys, feel free to challenge!).  How we were simply grateful to be...women.

I think when we travel we unconsciously open ourselves up to the world. To experiences and people. It's almost dramatic, really. And it comes so easily. We tend to guard ourselves when we are in places where people already know us, where we've already been labeled, where we're already comfortable.

That day, like so many of my experiences abroad and with World Camp, was a reminder of connection.  Of how, though our identity may be under constant re-definition, it doesn't mean connections aren't there.  And how those connections are what allows us to bring about (and perhaps more importantly, embrace) change.

Connections know no borders. They have an ability to transcend so many of the labels we place on ourselves and remind us that, at the core, we are all just human. That we have the same hopes and desires, that we share the same fears and sadness. And I think it is that very reminder that allows us to be effective in our work, whether it's here in the U.S. or across the ocean in Malawi.
World Camp reproductive and sexual health workshop. Pictured are Field Assistants Prerna Aroa & Prachee Shah with volunteer Kendall Strautman and women at Gramshree. Ahmedabad, India. July 2010. 

Written by: Katy Lackey, WC Coordinator


**Part I in a series of reflections on how we internalize what we learn abroad into who we are back home. Email submissions to info@worldcampforkids.org or katy@worldcampforkids.org. Articles, thoughts, poems, quotes, pictures, etc. are welcome!**



No comments:

Post a Comment