Thursday, January 22, 2015

Flooding in Malawi Perhaps Worst on Record

n the past two weeks, Malawi has experienced heavy rainfall resulting in flooding that has devastated the country. The flooding as displaced 200,000 people and 173 have been confirmed dead according to Gift of the Givers (an African NGO which specializes in disaster relief). Though many African countries have been affected by the flooding caused by Tropical Cyclone Bansi, Malawi seems to be the hardest hit. (CNN)
Flooding is a serious issue in Malawi, like many places in Africa the land is unable to absorb the water when rainfall is heavy due to deforestation and poor farming practices. As a result, the water sweeps across the low lying areas; some areas in Malawi are reporting as much as six feet of water. Homes and roads have been submerged in water destroying property and isolating people from aid. It is estimated that 20,000 people are currently isolated in the Southern Region of Malawi. (Nyasa Times)
Doctors Without Borders was able to reach some of these isolated people by helicopter. In the village of Makhanga, they found that one third of the children suffered from diarrhea, which is indicative of a lack of clean water. Many organizations are attempting to provide aid in the hopes of preventing a possible cholera outbreak or the spread of other diseases. Lack of clean water and proper sanitation in these severe flood conditions lends itself to the spread of disease, complicating the already desperate situation.  
Some of the health concerns following flooding include: 
  • Diarrheal diseases from a lack of clean water; 
  • Wound infections from damp and dirty conditions;
  • Increases in water-borne diseases (such as cholera, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, leptospirosis, and giardia); 
  • Vector-borne diseases (including malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, and West Nile virus) because standing water encourages breeding of carriers, like mosquitos; and 
  • TB and blood-borne illnesses (like HIV, hepatitis-B and -C) may be concerns if flooding leaves large numbers of deceased as the diseases can live in bodies for longer periods of time and pose a risk to community members handling bodies. 
 Though the initial Cyclone has passed Malawi there is fear that a second storm, Chedza, may hit Malawi  this coming Sunday, January 25. Currently, Tropical Depression Chedza is over the Indian Ocean, some  reports speculate that it will gain speed here and head back to land. (Weather Underground) As Malawi  waits to see if Tropical Depression Chedza will land again, aid groups from all over the world are  attempting to rescue isolated and displaced peoples across Southern Africa. Shelter and clean water are  desperately needed as well as assistance with medical care and re-housing those who have lost their  homes to the floods.


Written by Zoey Ponder and Emily Stallings

1 comment:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete