Thursday, August 16, 2012

From Brooklyn to Asheville :: meet Emily Stallings


At World Camp, we're passionate about reinventing development strategies through innovation in education. Our team is working every day to explore new strategies that will help communities in Malawi overcome issues surrounding poverty and disease. We have always been driven by a small, nimble team, and it's not uncommon for past volunteers to end up working with us in the field or as in this case, heading up our U.S. office.

Emily Stallings
She's been dreaming of joining a non-profit and applying her masters degree - now that's exactly what she'll be doing for us as our new Managing Director! Emily is a veteran when it comes to World Camp, first volunteering in Malawi in 2005 and later working as a Program Coordinator for our pilot programs in Honduras in 2008.

We're growing and exited to have a new addition to our already outstanding team.

Emily Stallings :: Managing Director
Tell us where you're from? 
"I'm from Ohio originally, then attended the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs in Pittsburgh, PA. I studied International Development there. I just moved down here (Asheville, NC) from Brooklyn, NY."

How did you first hear about World Camp?
"I've been familiar with WC since 2004. I volunteered with WC during a January session in 2005. I had just graduated from undergrad and wanted a challenging and rewarding experience in a place unlike any where I'd ever been. I'd volunteered with a camp for children impacted by HIV/AIDS and was interested in continuing that sort of work so WC was a perfect fit!"

Where’s the coolest place you’ve ever traveled?
"Malawi is up there! But I also really loved Morocco and Cuba. I just got back from a trip to Greece that was wonderful!"

What’s your favorite Olympic sporting event to watch?
"I like swimming, diving and gymnastics. I didn't get to see that much of the Olympics this year, though."

What are you looking forward to most in Asheville?
"I am really excited about the job itself! But, I'm excited about trying new restaurants, finding new music spots, and playing in the mountains."

What are you going to miss the most about New York?
"I'm going to miss my friends the most. There is a lot to miss about New York, though! I will miss the museums and parks, music venues and never ending flow of acts coming through. There is also an endless array of restaurants and people - that's fun."

What do you like to do while you’re not in the office?
"I like to spend time with my friends and boyfriend. I like to enjoy a beer, knit, see live music, go on weekend trips to new places, eat and cook."

How would you like to see World Camp grow and evolve?
"I am excited to help WC continue to grow the new SchoolsWork programs - they are not directly related to the volunteer programs (though it is close to my heart!), but are more inline with my interests for sustainable development. I am hoping that my time in New York will help me lead WC in a way that's ahead of the curve on trends in programming and funding."

What is one fun/interesting fact about yourself?
"I've driven across the country 3 times and count Alaska, North Dakota and Rhode Island as the only states I have yet to visit."


We're always looking to welcome more incredibly talented people to get involved with our programs. If you want to volunteer in Malawi and help change the lives of thousands of people then World Camp is a great place to start - who knows, one day you might even work here!

No comments:

Post a Comment