Tuesday, July 3, 2012

From the Field: Sean and Emily Mark

Meet a few more of the remarkable individuals working on our unique projects in Malawi!

PhD candidate Curriculum & Instruction for Social Studies
Emily Mark
  • Who are you? Emily Mark
  • How did you get connected with World Camp? I volunteered in 2009 for Summer Session 2. I found World Camp after googling 'teach HIV/AIDS education in Africa.' I've known for awhile that I wanted to come back, because it was such a great experience the first time.
  • What is the purpose of your current trip to Malawi?  How did you get involved in it? I'm in Malawi now to do research on volunteers and their experiences for my PhD. I'm attending graduate school at the University of Missouri, and thought that World Camp would be a great opportunity to learn how American students learn about others during study abroad.
  • What is a typical day like for you in the field? I don't have a typical day. Some days it's interviews, some days it's meetings, some days it's just sitting and doing research and reading up to prepare for an interview or meeting. And sometimes I get to visit one of the schools, and a have a lot of fun playing with kids, and talking with teachers and community members. Everyone is incredibly kind, and so it's always enjoyable.
  • What are your initial thoughts on your stay?  Have you been to Malawi before? I'm having even more fun the second time around. I'm better at Chichewa (which is not much), I love going to shop for fruits and vegetables at the market, and I've had better conversations with people from Malawi because I understand things better. I've also been better at listening, and asking more in-depth questions about how things work, current events (Joyce Banda, kwacha devaluation), special events (Malawi vs Chad in football. Go Malawi!), and the like. Best conversations.
  • What’s the best meal you've had while in Malawi? John's enchiladas. And then John's banana bread. If I could have his enchiladas AND banana bread in one meal, I might explode.
  • What do you hope to take away from your visit to Malawi? Some great memories of having fun with friends, seeing new places, and learning more about Malawian culture. Also research results. I'd really like to graduate. :)
  • What is one fun/interesting fact about yourself? I just got married in Hawaii in October.
  • Outside of World Camp, what are your interests? Traveling, cooking,watching movies, my research/grad school, having conversations  (with friends AND strangers--I am from Missouri, we talk to everyone).
  • What would you say to someone who’s interested in volunteering with World Camp? You will make friends, learn about yourself, and hopefully understand a  little more about the world and the different contexts in which people live. It's worth it.


Sean Mark
Sean and Program Coordinator, Karen Clark working in the field.
  • Who are you? Dr. Sean Mark (from Seattle, WA)
  • How did you get connected with World Camp? My wife, Emily, volunteered with World Camp in 2009.
  • What is the purpose of your current trip to Malawi?  How did you get involved in it? My purpose for being in Malawi this summer is to conduct research for World Camp to better understand the needs of the communities in which we are working so that we can serve the communities in the best way possible, and to create a framework for monitoring and evaluating our program over the next three years.
  • What is a typical day like for you in the field? My field days involve interviews with key stakeholders in communities, such as headmasters of schools, community-based organization key members, and important community leaders (the traditional authority).
  • What are your initial thoughts on your stay?  Have you been to Malawi before? This is my first time in Malawi. People here are incredibly friendly--among the top three friendly countries in the world that I've visited. The best experience is going into a village and meeting all of the smiling children.
  • What’s the best meal you've had while in Malawi? John's enchiladas on the first night we got here! A great way to welcome us to Malawi.
  • What is one fun/interesting fact about yourself? I've been to 76 countries, and I've worked in six.
  • Outside of World Camp, what are your interests? Travel, watching movies, skiing,diving and surfing, spending time with my family
  • What would you say to someone who’s interested in volunteering with World Camp? It would be a great way to experience village life in Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment