Saturday, June 25, 2011

Behind the Internship: Homestay and a New Appreciation for Life in Malawi

WC Intern Liza Anne doing morning
chores in Mkhosi village. 
“Hi, my name is Stephen.” These words seem so simple, yet were so soothing to hear upon reaching my home stay house. My biggest worry about staying in a village was being unable to communicate with the family and members of the village. I was not worried about not being able to communicate in terms of not getting what I wanted, but because I wanted to make sure that the family knew how happy I was to be with them. Home-stay was the biggest learning curve that I have had during my time in Malawi and I am so grateful that I jumped right into the opportunity.

When Stewart and I first arrived, all of the women in the village quickly greeted us. They had us dance for them; it felt like an initiation into the village. After dropping our stuff off at the house, we walked down the hill to draw water from the pump. Stewart and I struggled carrying two small bowls on our heads while the five year old girls passed us with huge buckets. I quickly learned that my domestic village skills needed some improvement. Our next task was making nsima for the family.

It was a challenge to make nsima that could actually be eaten. We were thrown into the process and there was no dress rehearsal. We sat outside in the dark stirring nsima in a tiny bowl over three small pieces of firewood. I was much more successful at making the dinner than carrying water, and we quickly moved inside to eat.

After dinner, Stewart and I were whisked away outside because there were “a few people” that wanted to see us. When we got out the door there were about fifty women and children thrilled to greet us. We spent the next hour and a half showing off our amazing American dance moves. The girls would throw us into the circle and watch our ridiculous renditions of their traditional dances. I smiled and laughed more in that time than I have in a very long time. Although I could not communicate with our new friends, I felt like I had known them my whole life. I felt like I was a part of the family already.

The next morning we did more chores than I could have ever imagined. We pounded maize, shelled ground nuts, drew water, swept the front of the house, watered crops, and built ridges and mounds for the farm, all before 7am. We stopped only to try sugar cane straight from the family farm.

Leaving the family and the village in the morning was hard to do; I soaked up every minute that I was there. The hardest connection to make is that although home-stay is a one-night experience for us as interns, for many it is just every day life. Learning about how Malawians live each day and the work they put into having a happy life is something that will resonate with me for years to come. I have learned so much about the culture and the students that I teach through staying in the village. My only hope is that one day I will be able to return the favor that Stephen’s family gave to me.

Submitted by: Liza Anne Ballentine, Malawi SS1 Intern 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment