Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Volunteer's Story: the Women of Gramshree

"Working with the women of Gramshree was one of my favorite experiences while in India. Sometimes it felt like we were on secret missions, being swept through the city, down side streets, whisked into homes and hair salons. Renegade sexual educators armed with a hefty amount of bananas and condoms in blacked-out plastic bags. 


Volunteer Amanda Waldrop with women of Gramshree.
During these workshops our classes consisted of women ages 18-50's and we covered a modified curriculum including HIV information, gender issues, reproductive health, menstruation and the importance of sanitary napkin usage. I must admit, I was a bit nervous to go over the reproductive health portion of the curriculum. I believe I blushed the most when I pulled out the anatomy aprons. There were lots of giggles and even some dirty jokes from the women! After we wrapped up the section (and became a lot more comfortable around each other) I proceeded with the condom demonstration. When the ladies realized what the tiny packages I passed out to them were, the room exploded with noise... mostly laughter. There were a few women who refused to do it, but upon the urging of their friends who asked them to just have fun with it I had the whole room's participation. 

Condom demonstration participation: 100%! Number of women who ate the bananas afterwards: zero. 

I reserved some time at the end of my first workshop for anonymous questions. I passed out the paper and pencils and explained the exercise. The most outspoken of the group returned her paper and pencil to me and said there was "no need to ask questions in secret, we are all sisters." After questions about the curriculum topics, discussion turned to our personal lives. The women told me stories about their families and were eager to learn a few things about me. When they learnt I was married, they insisted I pass around a photo of my husband and they wished us many blessings for a long and happy life together. They even offered to take me home to teach me how to make roti so I could make my husband very fat! 

Amanda and Manali, Field Assistant,
teaching a girl's HIV workshop. 
My sessions weren't always so light hearted. The reality of gender roles in India and how HIV affects women is heartbreaking. During one session, I had a woman approach me in private. She told me that no matter how much she learned about HIV, reproductive health and condom usage, she simply doesn't have a voice when it comes to sex. Being from a place where women do have that voice, I really struggled with this realization. With a lump in my throat I concluded my workshop by distributing the HIV ribbons to my participants. Asking for their help in the fight against HIV, I urged them to share their new knowledge with their daughters, sisters, neighbors. 

Bonding with the women of Gramshree was such a beautiful thing. I found this incredible camaraderie between women in India. One that you can't exactly put into words, you just kind of feel it. My time spent with World Camp opened my eyes to the connections we are all capable of making. I feel so blessed to be able to carry these beautiful experiences with me back to the other side of the world. India taught me me a lot and continues to impact my life each day."


Submitted by: Amanda Conrad Waldrop, India volunteer 2010
*Part X in our Reflections series: How we internalize what we learn abroad into who we are back home. Email submissions to info@worldcampforkids.org or katy@worldcampforkids.org. All forms of reflection encouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment