Friday, January 14, 2011

Behind the Internship: Stand By Me

In the words of the Late Great Ben E King .

When the night has come
And the land is dark

And the moon is the only light we'll see

No I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid

Just as long as you stand, stand by me
And darlin', darlin', stand by me,
oh now now stand by me

Stand by me, stand by me


This song for me has always sent chills up my spine of what it means to be a human in a relationship with other people. What it means to be a friend. What it means to need friendship. I have always thought that if each individual in our world would approach life in such a way as this simple song describes then much of our hurt, pain and despair would vanish. Perhaps poverty and war would fade away into the clear night sky. I first heard this song in the movie by Steven Spielburg "Stand By Me" that starred the late River Pheonix. It is a movie about friendship and journey into the unknown. These boys find a bond that sticks with them forever. This movie has always come to mind when I think of what life could be like in a magical friendship and a world that held so much wonder but little answers.

Well let me tell you, Malawi expresses the message of the song “Stand By Me” in ways that were hard to imagine before arriving to this country. The moment I stepped onto Malawi soil I felt this very strange feeling of being Home. I instantly felt in good hands as I got off the plane and I met Jaren and Karen. I felt I was in the place I was destined to be. A place were purpose would find you simply by waking up each morning.

A little over two weeks has passed and what an adventure Malawi has turned out to be. A safe journey, but with the feeling of living on the edge. Maybe it’s the dreamland landscape, or the poverty found in Lilongwe, the villages or the refugee camp but each day seems to be amazing and radical, but at the same moment very casual and simple.

You are first welcomed by Africa. Africa has an emotion that does not exist in Canada or the USA. They are great countries, but Africa has an odd magic to it. Then you are welcomed by the people who are so kind. Friendship is made with a wave, smile and if walking a hand shake. Poverty has a very sad unspeakable side, but the people of Malawi truly are the Warm Heart of Africa. The time at the schools is so rewarding. Singing, dancing, making friends that will remain in the heart. The kids make such an impact. One minute you are on the outside looking upon a very poor village or school, and the next you are on a first name basis with someone you will never forget.

Africa is known to move at a different pace than North America or Europe but the pace you will really notice is how fast great friendship sprouts out from the ground of life, love and laughter. Name’s like John, Leonard , Sarah and George are part of whom I am now. I hope to be part of who they are.

I sit in the morning under the heat of the African sun. I read, listen to music, or write in my journal. It took me many years to get to Africa, in fact two years ago I had never heard of Malawi. But now I wonder how everyone isn't moved to take the steps to come to this land. It feels as though you have not lived until you have been in Africa. This may not be understood, but if you find your way to this mystical, magical place you will understand fully.

I praise God for bringing me to Malawi and I thank Christ for dying for the rich and the poor. I am not sure however whom is richer or poorer…us in all our glory of possession or those in the glory of life. I encourage you to volunteer with World Camp in Malawi, or at least come to Africa. If you can't do this maybe just take time to sit and have tea with your friend when they return from the Warm Heart and still have the dirt of soulful African soil on their feet.

Submitted by: Nick Felgate

No comments:

Post a Comment