Monday, November 22, 2010

Staff Story: Reflections on a Summer in India

Working as a Field Assistant for World Camp has been the experience of a lifetime! It was a collection of teaching, managing, leading, learning and most of all, serving humankind. 


Kendall Strautman, volunteer, and Prerna Arora, field
assistant, lead the Human Knot at
 PTC Teacher's Training College. 
As I begin to recollect the times spent with my wonderful, naughty co-ordinators, and sweet, innocent kids, I fall short of words to describe the amazing experiences we had! One particular picture that can never go off my mind was the first school we went to - Vishwabharti. We were there for two days and towards the end of camp, while we waved the kids bye, this one girl came forward and gave me a peck on the cheek. I was amazed; I never knew I'd ever bond with some stranger in just a couple of hours! It was truly touching. 

I really like the way World Camp is creating awareness of issues like AIDS and environmental concerns, and at a level where it is required the most. Most of all its amazingly beautiful how each co-ordinator puts forward their ideas in a different language and is still able to get the kids to learn. Not to forget the wonderful lunches and gatherings we had with our co-ordinators and the celebrations of their birthdays. 


I had a great time and I truly miss each one! Katy, Kendall, Rina, Sadie and Amanda - you have been great. I've had a wonderfull time with each one of you and thank you sooo much for the wonderful card you guys made. I will preserve it forever! Wishing a very good luck to all my co-ordinators for their future endeavors and a big thumbs up to World Camp and all its doings. I really wish to work with World Camp again soon.
The WC India 2010 crew! (from back left): Prachee Shah, Kendall Strautman, Amanda Waldrop,
Deepak Gohel, Prerna Arora, Sadie McCleary, Rina Kojima, Katy Lackey, Naini Chokshi, and Manali Shah


Submitted by: Prerna Arora, Field Assistant, India 2010


*Part I in our Staff series. Check back for more reflections and updates from our in-country staff! Email submissions to info@worldcampforkids.org or katy@worldcampforkids.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment