Tuesday, March 2, 2010

maize season!

'Tis the season in Malawi. Maize season that is. Or just about.

A few weeks ago John, our House Manager, traveled to his family's home in Monkey Bay to check on his crops. He returned with a huge smile on his face, said it was up to his waist, and almost ready. That's when I started really paying attention, noticing that maize was everywhere, growing, and fast!

The small maize crop I pass on my morning run seems to grow inches overnight. It's taller than Ngoni!

Planters grow a number of different maize: M6, M12, M14, which correspond to to the height of the stem before it begins to produce baby maize. Apparently they all taste the same. I have no idea which one this is. Regardless, I'm sure that it will make some delicious nsima.

No comments:

Post a Comment